Happy new year! May the new year bring you joy, love, happiness, grace and all the things you hope for <3
It’s the first day back in the office for me. The past two weeks were all about yoga pants, a ton of Netflix (if you’re looking for recommendations, hit me up!), lots of snuggling with the pups and battling that horrific flu that’s been going around worldwide…
So today I’m back at culling & editing the last wedding of 2016 that we photographed at the gorgeous venue La Butte Aux Bois in Belgium right before Christmas with the incredibly amazing La Sensa Weddings.
I’ll be doing a year in review post later this week but this post I wanted to focus on a few highlights of 2016. You see, 2016 has not been my favorite year. Not by a long shot. I was actually sighing a breath of relief when the clock turned to Midnight on New Years Eve and I knew that 2016 was done.
But, that doesn’t mean that it was all bad. Not by a long shot either. And that is what I want to focus on. I don’t want to focus on the crappy things we had to go through (saying goodbye to our beloved Indy, Ray losing his grandma, having a mammogram done after a lump scare or my mom having heart surgery to name but a few), but instead I want to focus on some of the highlights of the year. Because my glass is always half full, friends. Always. Because the not so amazing things we go through, are all learning experiences and make us appreciate the beautiful things even more.
So my top 10 highlights of 2016, starting with 5 personal ones and then 5 business ones!
3. Horse riding through the Arizona desert. I hadn’t ridden in years and had been wanting to do so again for years too. So being back in the saddle was such a highlight. As was staying at the White Stallion Ranch. Best part of our Arizona trip!
4. Seeing the lavender fields in bloom in Provence. It had been on my bucket list for ages and we finally had the chance to see them last July. Such a highlight and I can still remember those amazing scents so vividly!
5. working on my wellness with my wellness coach Lauren. I’ve been dealing with hormonal imbalance for quite some time now and working with Lauren has been such a blessing. I’ve changed my nutrition, started using essential oils and managed to add daily meditation to my routines. Working with a coach to get things in perspective is simply wonderful!
6. doing a love shoot in Paris. It had been on my wishlist for years and last January we finally had the chance to do it. I loved every minute of it!
8. Photographing a gorgeous anniversary shoot in Provence. In the lavender fields and an olive grove to be exact. Dream come true!
9. the clients and vendors we got to work with last year. I know it sounds a bit cliche but in all honesty, we couldn’t do what we do without the trust of our clients and vendors we work with. We are beyond grateful for each and every one of them. For trusting us to document weddings, anniversaries, look books and editorials. So if you are reading this and you are one of them, THANK YOU! Thank you, thank you, thank you! We appreciate you more than words could ever express.
10. Photographing an anniversary in the Arizona mountains. That light! Those surroundings! That light! Oh I had mentioned that light already, hadn’t I? Well, the Arizona light was a photographer’s dream come true at golden hour <3
I’ll end this post with a very big thank you to our film lab Richard Photo Lab for taking such great care of our images last year. We switched halfway through the year to RPL and that should have been listed as a separate highlight too because they have been ah-mazing!
MR BIG, SEX AND THE CITY